10.17.2011

Two people I love...

Two people I really love...Stephanie Nielson and Glenn Beck, both are really incredible people in my book.  Watch this...


or this...

Last April for our Professionalism Conference, BYU brought Stephanie Nielson to be our keynote speaker...it was a dream come true.  This is what she said about nurses...

I have been aware of Stephanie Nielson’s inspiring story for a couple years and have enjoyed following her blog, so to be in her presence and hear her story firsthand was truly touching. I was impressed by the way she eloquently tied her story back to nursing and what we can do as nurses to ease the suffering of those patients who are most vulnerable. One of the major characteristics of nurses that Stephanie pointed out as being most beneficial to her while she was experiencing a dark time in her life was that of honesty, even when the truth wasn’t pretty, followed up with an outpouring of love.  She talked about the importance of having nurses who showed her compassion and support, while continually encouraging her to move forward, even when it was most difficult. I was especially impressed by what Stephanie Nielson had to say about the hospital being a holy place.  She reminded us that the hospital is not just the place you work, people die there and people are born there.  Families come there to find comfort and experience disappointments. This thought has crossed my mind before, but I will forever view the hospital in a different light.  I will remember the sacred opportunities and happenings of the hospital and act accordingly as I have the privilege of being there often. Stephanie Nielson is an incredible example of optimism and perseverance despite facing immense trials. Her story is inspiring and I feel that I have been changed by her light, her experience, and her insight. 

I may not work in a hospital, but I am still a nurse...and honored to be one :)

No comments:

Post a Comment